The $250,000 2013 Gotham Stakes (G3) is one of the major tune-ups for the Wood Memorial (G1) at Aqueduct. The Gotham Stakes is for three year old colts and gelding and will run on March 2, 2013. The race is set for 1 1/16 miles on the dirt.
The following horses have been entered:
1. Champion Boy is the lone maiden in this race. In two races, the Juan Carlos Guerrero trained colt by Big Brown has finished 3rd in a maiden special weight on January 20 and 5th in the Withers Stakes on February 2, both at Aqueduct. Jockey Eddie Castro.
2. Escapefromreality ran a huge race in defeat to Revolutionary in the Withers. He might have lost by more than a neck if Revolutionary had a good trip, but nonetheless for him to be in that position was a step in the right direction. The Read the Footnotes colt won his maiden debut going 5 1/2 furlongs back on November 25 at Aqueduct. He lost by a neck in an Allowance race in December as the 2/5 favorite going six furlongs. The Withers was his first race going longer distance and he passed the test. Trained by Dominick Schettino and will be ridden by jockey David Cohen.
3. Ore Pass has won two of three starts for trainer Michael Trombetta. He won his debut by 10 3/4 lengths at Laurel Park on November 24 going six furlongs. He ran 5th after taking the early lead in a Allowance at Parx Racing on January 5 going six furlongs. His latest was a win in the Frank Whiteley, Jr Stakes back at Laurel Park on January 19 going seven furlongs. The first two raes he went straight to the lead. In the latest, the War Pass colt sat off the early pace and made a late move down the stretch to win by 1 1/2 lengths. This race will be the farthest he has gone and it has some early speed. The rate method might be his best option again. Jockey Julian Pimentel.
4. Amerigo Vespucci has been a consistent performer for trainer Tim Tullock. In six races, the Henrythenavigator colt has won twice, finished 2nd twice and hit the board twice in the last two graded stakes. He finished 3rd in the Jerome Stakes (G2) and 4th in the Withers Stakes (G3) both at Aqueduct. Jockey Erick Rodriguez.
5. Transparent is the first from the Kiaran McLaughlin and Darley Stable barn and he comes in off his maiden victory. He was 0 for 5 at Saratoga, Belmont Park and Aqueduct in 2012, but got better with each race. The Bernardini colt’s win was this year at three by 5 3/4 lengths going one mile and 70 yards. See how he follows it up against stakes competition. Jockey Irad Ortiz Jr.
6. Now and Then comes in off his debut win at Aqueduct on January 20. He is the second entry for Kiaran McLaughlin and owners from Darley Stable. They decided to not put in an entry. The Tiznow colt sat off the early leader and made a move down the stretch to win by 1 1/4 lengths going six furlongs. With his pedigree, the additional distance should not be an issue. Jockey Junior Alvarado.
7. Siete de Oros ran a game 3rd behind Revolutionary and Escapefromreality. The Pennsylvania bred son of A. P. Warrior led for most of the race but gave way with 1/16 mile to go. The experience going longer might benefit him moving forward. After finishing 5th in his maiden special weight debut, he comfortably won in his follow up in maiden claiming $40,000 at Parx Racing. He won an Allowance after that then finished 3rd in the Pennsylvania Nursery Stakes. He was shipped to New York and ran 2nd losing a head to Vyjack in the Jerome Stakes. He has shown he can compete and should be decent odds if entered in this race. Trained by Ramon Preciado and is ridden by Angel Arroyo.
8. Vyjack comfortably won both of his starts as a two year old taking his maiden debut going 6 1/2 furlongs and the seven furlongs Traskwood Stakes, both at Aqueduct. He carried the momentum over to 2013 and won the Jerome Stakes (G2) at Aqueduct on January 5 going one mile and 70 yards. He should continue to get better and better. Still not clear if he will run in this race or bypass and go directly to the Wood Memorial. Trained by Rudy Rodriguez and jockey is Joel Rosario.
9. Elnaawi comes off his maiden score at Aqueduct on January 12. His was the second career race and first as a three year old for the Kiaran McLaughlin trained colt by Street Sense. His debut was a 3rd place finish on December 8, also at Aqueduct. This is the 3rd entry in this race for McLaughlin and first for owners from Shadwell Stable. Jockey Channing Hill.
10. Sky Captain had a 4th and win at Churchill Downs last summer. Trainer Mark Casse gave the Sky Mesa colt five months off before returning to action at Gulfstream Park. He finished 5th in an Allowance Optional Claiming $75,000 going 6 1/2 furlongs on December 15. On January 26, he finished 2nd beaten 2 1/2 lengths in another Allowance Optional Claiming $75,000 to Cerro (IRE), who just finished 6th in the Fountain of Youth Stakes on February 23. Jockey Miguel Mena.
11. West Hills Giant is making his second start as a three year old for trainer John Terranova. The Forest Giant colt broke his maiden second out last summer at Saratoga, then won the $250,000 New York Breeders’ Futurity at Finger Lakes six furlongs. He finished 7th and distant last in his turf debut in the 1 1/16 miles Pilgrim Stakes (G3) at Belmont Park in October. After a four month break, he returned to finish 3rd in the Java Gold Stakes at Aqueduct on February 10 going six furlongs. He lost by one length. We have yet to see him run on dirt going long distance, so he is still a question mark as to his full ability. Jockey Jose Espinoza.
12. Overanalyze will be making his first start as a three year old after a successful end to his two year old campaign on November 24 in the 1 1/8 miles Remsen Stakes (G2) at Churchill Downs. The Dixie Union colt won his debut last August at Saratoga, then finished 4th less than a month later in the Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (G2). He cut back to six furlongs and easily won the Futurity Stakes (G2) at Belmont Park. He didn’t have a great trip ion his 3rd place finish in the Iroquois Stakes (G3) at Churchill Downs. He is trained by Todd Pletcher and will be ridden by John Velasquez.
ORDER OF FINISH
2. West Hills Giant
4. Siete de Oros
7. Amerigo Vespucci
8. Champion Boy
10. Sky Captain
11. Ore Pass
SCRATCHED: Now and Then